thisis50
  • News
  • Music
  • HipHop
  • Entertainment
  • Culture
Thisis50Thisis50
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Music
  • HipHop
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
Search
  • HipHop
  • Music
  • News
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
Follow US
Thisis50 > Music > Roger Daltrey Calls Zak Starkey’s Departure Remarks ‘Character Assassination’
Music

Roger Daltrey Calls Zak Starkey’s Departure Remarks ‘Character Assassination’

shankytanky101@gmail.com
Last updated: August 5, 2025 10:18 am
shankytanky101@gmail.com
Share
SHARE

Roger Daltrey Calls Zak Starkey’s Departure Remarks ‘Character Assassination’, breaking his silence months after the drummer’s controversial exit from The Who.

Contents
Setting the Record StraightStarkey’s Version of EventsDaltrey Denies Targeting StarkeyThe Aftermath

Setting the Record Straight

It’s been four months since the series of shows that led to Zak Starkey’s departure from The Who, and Roger Daltrey has now spoken out to clarify his side of the story.

Starkey’s status within the band had been in question since April, following reports that he was fired, later welcomed back, and eventually announced his departure. Starkey insisted he wasn’t “fired” but had instead “retired.”

A spokesman for The Who initially said the band made a “collective decision to part ways with Zak” after their Royal Albert Hall performances earlier this year.

Starkey’s Version of Events

In a June interview with The Telegraph, Starkey described the concerts, saying:

“What happened was I got it right and Roger got it wrong.”

According to reports, Daltrey—who was recently knighted—halted several songs mid-performance, citing difficulty hearing over the drums. During the rarely-performed track The Song Is Over, Starkey claimed a lack of rehearsal led to Daltrey coming in early.

Soon after, Starkey received a call from band manager Bill Curbishley, delivering the bad news:

“It’s my unfortunate duty to inform you that you won’t be needed from now on. Roger says you dropped some beats.”

While Starkey admitted he may have missed a few beats, the disagreement escalated.

Daltrey Denies Targeting Starkey

Now, in an interview with The Times, Daltrey strongly disputed Starkey’s account.

“An audience can see what’s happening on stage and have a complete misunderstanding of what’s actually going on. It was kind of a character assassination and it was incredibly upsetting,” he said.

Daltrey explained that the issue was not with Starkey personally but with the technical setup of their live shows, which use electronic drums fed through in-ear monitors.

“We had so much sub-bass on the sound of the drums that I couldn’t pitch,” Daltrey recalled. “I was pointing to the bass drum and screaming at the sound guy because it was like flying a plane without seeing the horizon. So when Zak thought I was having a go at him, I wasn’t. That’s all that happened.”

Roger Daltrey Calls Zak Starkey’s Departure Remarks ‘Character Assassination’

The Aftermath

Daltrey also addressed why Starkey’s exit became surrounded by confusion for weeks:

“Pete [Townshend] and I retain the right to be The Who. Everyone else is a session player. You can’t replace Keith Moon. We wanted to branch out, and that’s all I want to say about it. But Zak’s reaction was crippling to me.”

Despite the drama, The Who has continued touring. In late July, they performed in Italy as part of The Song Is Over Tour, which is set to arrive in North America later this month.

Daltrey has confirmed, however, that this run marks the end of an era:

“This is certainly the last time you will see us on tour.”

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Daylyt and J. Cole

Daylyt and J. Cole Serve Up Flavor on “A Plate of Collard Greens”

Tony Hills 3 Min Read
Tory Lanez

Tory Lanez Honors Trina with ‘Lost Cause’ Mixtape Re-Release

Tony Hills 4 Min Read

At the Knicks game, Cardi B and Stefon Diggs display their love.

shankytanky101@gmail.com 3 Min Read
Will Smith

Will Smith and Michael Bay Reunite for Netflix’s Action Thriller “Fast and Loose”

Tony Hills 4 Min Read

You Might Also Like

Music

Fan Army Face-Off 2025 Reaches the Quarterfinals: Cast Your Vote to Decide the Top 4!

3 Min Read
Music

“I Hope You Dance” by Lee Ann Womack Returns With a Thanksgiving Special waltz

7 Min Read
Zoe Rex
Music

Zoe Rex: The Independent Artist Making Waves in a Crowded Industry

5 Min Read
Music

50 Cent Makes Fun of Diddy’s Supposed Bedroom Fetishness

3 Min Read

About us

Thisis50.us is a hip-hop magazine dedicated to showcasing the culture, stories, and voices that define the genre today. From artist interviews to event coverage, we bring our readers the latest in hip-hop music and trends.

As Seen On

Thisis50
thisis50
Thisis50
thisis50
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?